What is a REAL Opportunity?
REAL (Research Experience and Applied Learning), or “learning by doing”, is an opportunity for students to apply their classroom knowledge in real-world settings. Through REAL opportunities, students can gain real-world skills, prepare for their careers, and achieve personal growth.
As a business or community partner of UC San Diego you can provide REAL opportunities in various forms:
- Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation: Innovation is the process of translating an idea or invention into a product, service, or strategies that are of value to customer or social needs. Entrepreneurship is the process of creating businesses or organizations.
- International: Opportunities to expand cross-cultural skills, perspectives, and knowledge, to re-evaluate personal and professional goals through study, work, internships, or volunteer opportunities around the world.
- Internship: A temporary position in a professional work setting with an emphasis on learning. Internships may be full-time, part-time, academic, paid, unpaid, on-campus, and/or off-campus.
- Leadership: Leadership opportunities involve strategic thinking, working in groups, problem solving, effective communication, decision-making, and more.
- Research: A systematic inquiry that investigates hypotheses, suggests new interpretations of data or texts, and poses new questions for future research to explore.
- Service Learning: Community service is performed for the benefit of the public such as the campus and community. This can be achieved through one-time, short-term, and long-term projects.
- Tutoring: Teaching and assisting others with academic work.