Can I Volunteer?
Yes you can. Undergraduates who wish to engage in research or applied learning opportunities may approach faculty or external partners for volunteer positions. In this case you may want to consider receiving academic credit for your experience. Please be aware that if a student (intern) decides to volunteer for a for-profit company, according to the Department of Labor, all of the following criteria must be met for the experience.
- The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
- The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
- The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
- The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.